Test Data Allocation 101
Curiosity maintain '101' courses for different tools and technologies, providing an overview of the principles and broad functionality involved in the tool. The short demo videos and tasks are designed to help new users learn quickly how to use our tools, as well as to provide quick reference guides to specific functionality within the tool. Below, you can find our quick start guide for Test Data Allocation, a high-speed utility that provisions accurate data combinations to automated and manual tests.
Test Data Allocation is a powerful TDM utility that automatically finds, makes, and allocates exact data combinations for automated and manual tests. It hunts through databases and files for data to satisfy the criteria of a given suite. The automation creates any missing data needed for test execution, before assigning the unique combinations to the manual or automated tests.
To complete the below training course, you will require a licensed copy of VIP and Test Modeller. The example configuration files used in the below videos are shipped as part of the standard VIP install. You should work with your own database and environment for this course. If you need a trial license or tool access, please contact support.
Curiosity additionally provide written documentation, that can be used either alongside or instead of the 101 videos if you prefer written user guides. The Knowledge Base provides step-by-step instructions on how to use Test Data Allocation, as well as additional utilities that form part of Test Data Automation. The articles relevant to each video are listed in the table below, allowing you review the supporting written material as you follow the 101 course in order.
Each session below has a series of goals and actions. Simply follow the instructions on-screen to gain the understanding needed to get started with Test Data Allocation.
Content and Session goals
Relevant Knowledge Base Articles
Test Data Allocation for Manual Testing
1. Create a connection profile for your database;
2. Convert SQL into a reusable test type in the central test data catalogue;
3. Create test suite in the associated data allocation pool;
4. Run the test suite and review the values returned for your automated test.
Setting Up Test Type Flows
1. Create a reusable test type from an automated VIP workflow;
2. Use the FindInExcel action to look up a set of values from a given column in a spreadsheet;
3. Run the reusable lookup for a manual test and review the resultant rows;
4. Incorporate the lookup process within a broader model, generating automation to perform data Find and Makes.
Using Data Driven Testing with Data Allocation
1. Register a spreadsheet in VIP, creating a flow to drive data;
2. Expose the flow to Test Modeller;
3. Model the unique combinations of data that will drive the data driven test automation;
4. Attach the VIP flow to the model using an automation module;
5. Generate test cases from the model and run the automated lookup and publish to assign unique values to the tests.